Monday, March 31, 2008

March 31, 2008

On this day in 1968, Lyndon Johnson announced that he was dropping out of the presidential race. Although there could be some debate, I am convinced that he never would have done so had RFK not entered the race.

Well, it looks like Spring is finally here. The snow is finally disappearing. I can't believe it is April already tomorrow. Like the song says "it's been a long, cold, lonely winter."

Here are a couple of news stories I found today:

 

Remembering the RFK Campaign by Roger Mudd

Ethel Kennedy to attend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial ceremony April 4th on behalf of Barack Obama

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely article by Roger Mudd; it is both sad and exilarating.
Ria

lostnacfgop said...

The Mudd article was very poignant. I also liked the George Harrison lyrical reference. Perhaps its my age, but I cannot often help thinking of the Beatles and RFK at the same time. Must've been those 3 older siblings who were dedicated fans and followers of both.

You should post a link to RFK's MLK speech from 4/4/68 today. One of the best extemporaneous speeches given in our country's history, IMHO.

Unknown said...

I just posted the speech :) I meant to do it before I went to work today...
It is one of his greatest speeches...