Thursday, February 28, 2008

Memories of RFK

It is almost the 40th anniversary of the death of Robert F. Kennedy. He was shot on June 5th, 1968 and died on June 6th. At the time he was running for President and had just won the California primary.

I was 11-years-old when he died. I was living in Scotland. I actually knew who he was as we were working on a project at school about the US. I had an instinctive like of Bobby and an instant dislike of Richard Nixon. Even then I was a lefty, I guess. When I heard he had died I was very saddened. Then I went on with my life. It was after I had moved to Canada in 1970 that I got interested in the Kennedy family. I started off reading books about JFK but soon found I was much more interested in what Bobby had done in his life. I soon began reading everything I could get my hands on about Bobby.

I often wonder how different the world would have been if he had lived and been elected president. Of course, it was not definite he would have been elected. Still, it would have been nice if he had had the chance.

I hope we hear lots about Bobby this year. We have heard talk of him from the Democratic candidates but a lot of people really don't know enough about him. They hear some stories and take them at gospel, but don't bother to find out the truth. I think his biggest contribution to the 1968 election campaign was that he gave people hope. He may not have been able to accomplish everything he said he would, but you know he would have tried and would have stood by his beliefs.

Bobby announced he was running for President on March 16, 1968. I'll post a transcript of that speech here on that day.

What memories do you have of that time?


Creative Commons License



Memories of RFK by
Susan Keeping is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Canada License.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan – I remember you from old times.
My most vivid memory of RFK’s death is standing in the middle of the playground of the school I attended as a 16 yr old girl, and my best friend who came from a large catholic family who had a picture of JFK on the wall in their living room, burst into tears when someone told us he had died. And later in the evening at the boarding school watching the news where they showed him standing on the flat-bed truck in Indiana, delivering the news of MLK’s death to the crowd.
These are still vivid memories 40 years on.
Please keep up the good work here; will be back.
Ria

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment.

Where do you remember me from?

Anonymous said...

I think you used to have another website dedicated to RFK a couple of years ago, didn't you? I used to visit that and I am assuming you are the same Susan Keeping. If you are not, I apologize. Ria

Unknown said...

Yes, that is me. You name does sound familiar to me now that I think of it :)